Sunday 16 September 2018

Legacy

My mother loved too hard.
She poured all of her love into people and didn't care much about ending up empty.

She burned herself so that others could rise from her ashes.
She died for love.
Some called it a weakness;
but hers, was a superpower.
Only, a superpower not meant for this world.

She gifted me the ability to love selflessly, wholeheartedly and unconditionally and that is taking me places and for that I'll be forever grateful.

You see, my mother knew all there was to know about loving.

When my daughter grows up, I won't have to teach her how to love.
She'd have it in her blood and in her bones.
Because she'd be a part of me, and I, am a shadow of my mother; who if anything, was an epitome of unconditional love.

So, I won't have to teach her how to love.
But I'll teach her all there is to know about loving her own self.
I'll teach her to embrace herself, and to hold her own hand.
I'll tell her that she should talk to herself in the most loving words and tones, treat herself in the gentlest ways.
So everytime, somebody treats her any less, she is awake enough to not allow it,
to not accept it.

I'll teach her to be kind and gentle. Towards her own self.
She'll know how to be soft and she'll know things about forgiving herself.
She won't die for love but she'd live to love.

You see, when my daughter grows up, she'd say that her mother taught her of self love and for that she'll be forever grateful.

She'd say, her mother damn sure knew a thing or two about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment